YEAR 1, SEMESTER 1
COMM2530 Story, Genre and Medium
- Develop skills in scriptwriting for multiple modes of media delivery.
- Analyse a variety of media genres and develop your own genre interests.
- Develop a treatment for a fiction project as well as a non-fiction project.
COMM2532 Contemporary Media Work Practices
- Learn production tools and techniques for online media.
- Establish your online presence and networked fluency.
- Develop your social media presence, both as a tool for your career and for publishing and promoting media projects.
- Develop a small online production by applying the skills developed in this course and COMM2530 Sound and Image.
COMM2682 Sound and Image
- Learn production practices for fiction and non-fiction projects.
- Produce a variety of teacher-specified production exercises and small projects.
- Engage in iterative activity and reflection, as you hone your skills and repeat techniques in different contexts, to experience different outcomes.
YEAR 1, SEMESTER 2
Elective offerings are constantly changing. Depending on the semester, some electives will restrict the number of enrolments allowed, or only enrol students from specific programs. Once a course is full you can not enrol, so try to enrol in your chosen elective as soon as possible.
We keep an updated list of the electives that are most relevant to Master of Media students below. To find an elective that best suits you, make sure you read the most recent guide for the course:
Program: MC248 Master of Communication
- COMM1123 Communication Management Theory & Practice
- COMM2667 Corporate Writing & Editing (Sem1 only)
- COMM2761 Community & Civic Engagement (Sem1 only)
- COMM2083 Communication for Social Change
- COMM2668 Financial Communication (Sem2 only)
- COMM2057 Ethics Philosophy & Comm (Sem2 only)
- COMM1107 Stakeholders & Emergent Media (Sem2 only)
- COMM2679 Leadership & Corporate Storytelling (Sem1, FlexSpring)
Program: MC249 Master of Advertising
Program: MC262 Master of Writing & Publishing
- COMM2719 The Craft of Writing and Editing (Semester 1, apply to Program Manager)
- COMM2713 Contemporary Writing and Publishing (Semester 1, apply to Program Manager)
- COMM2718 The Art of Writing and Editing (Semester 2, apply to Program Manager)
Program: MC245 Master of Design Futures (online only)
- GRAP2623 Future Design Contexts (online, apply to Program Manager)
- GRAP2624 Future Design Leadership (online, apply to Program Manager)
- GRAP2626 Design Strategy (online, apply to Program Manager)
- GRAP2494 Service Design (online, apply to Program Manager)
College: Design and Social Context
- LANG1259 English for Academic Purposes. If you are a student from a non-English-speaking background, or if you are unfamiliar with academic writing and research, this is an excellent course for you.
- LANG1067 Chinese 1, LANG1169 Japanese 1, LANG1177 Spanish 1, LANG1290 Chinese Through Drama. If you are interested in a language elective you should contact the course coordinator to make sure you have the required skills and knowledge.
- MKTG1100 Marketing Management
- BUSM3323 Business Skills for Creative Industries
- BUSM4163 Business Consulting (select the Fastrack Innovation Program stream within this course, which you will see is notated as 'FAST'). By application only - to get into the demanding Fastrack program you must apply by mid-April
RMIT University: Postgraduate Electives Page
You can also choose any of the postgraduate courses on the Student Electives page (specify Level of Study: Postgraduate on the search page). Check this page frequently, as many electives don't appear until a month or so before they are scheduled to run.
If you can’t find a suitable elective when enrolling, please contact Rebecca (firstname.lastname@example.org).
COMM2533 Post-Industrial Media
- Further develop production and distribution techniques for online media learnt in COMM2532 Contemporary Media Work Practices.
- Research the aesthetic, technical, and/or theoretical aspects of online storytelling.
- Produce, publish and distribute a short online media narrative as part of your research.
- Broaden your social media presence and practice advanced social media strategies.
COMM2680 Collaborative Media Project
- Develop your collaboration and production skills as you plan and make a fiction or non-fiction project.
- Projects will be designed by students within the course in collaboration with leading industry practitioners. Projects may also be commissioned by industry partners.
YEAR 2, SEMESTER 1
COMM2539 International Media Collaboration
- Develop cross-cultural and global communications skills by participating in a partnered media project with an international industry partner or students from an international university.
- You may collaborate virtually from your base in Melbourne or travel to another country to work on location.
COMM2681 Media Career Development
- Develop your online profile with an online portfolio, CV and professional social media presence.
- Establish links with media organisations, companies, and other collaborators through networking activities.
- Conduct research about a specific skill or industry issue.
- Plan an entrepreneurial project or write a business plan for yourself as a sole trader.
- Progress your career direction through a work placement or internship.
COMM2540 New Directions in Narrative
- Design a major collaborative media project for multi-platform delivery.
- Form project groups in which you will undertake major pre-production tasks.
- Commence the pre-production phase of your project prior to COMM2683 Strategic Media Project in which you will shoot, edit and publish your project.
GRAP2627 Research Methods for Design & Digital Media (S1 class no. 3640 / S2 class no. 3522)
- Design a major research project based on an identified issue or interest derived from either COMM2681 Media Career Development, or COMM2540 New Directions in Narrative.
- Develop a research proposal and research methodology.
- Pass the research proposal in order to progress to the completion of the research project in COMM2663 Professional Research Project.
YEAR 2, SEMESTER 2
COMM2683 Strategic Media Project
Complete the major collaborative media project that you planned in COMM2540 New Directions in Narrative.
COMM2786 Professional Research Project
Complete the major research project that you proposed in GRAP2627 Research Methods for Design and Digital Media.