How do I communicate with staff?

If you have a question about your course, should should contact your course coordinator, lecturer or tutor via the Canvas Inbox. The best place to direct your queries on Canvas, is to either start a new Discussion (whereby tutors and students can all see and respond), or use the Inbox for private queries (such as requesting extensions).

If you have a question about the Master of Media program or personal difficulties that are affecting your study, you can contact the program manager, Rebecca Young: rebecca.young@rmit.edu.au.

If you have a question about internships, course credit or your program plan, you can contact your WIL coordinator/academic advisor, Patrick Kelly: patrick.kelly@rmit.edu.au.

How do I communicate with students?

Media Masters RMIT is a private Facebook group for RMIT Master of Media alumni, current students and friends of the program. To join, go to the Media Masters RMIT page and click Join Group. A group admin will approve your request. 

We also have a group on LinkedIn, called RMIT Media Postgrads. Please join LinkedIn to access this group.

We also hold regular Student-Staff Consultative Committee meetings to get feedback about the program. We're always looking for volunteers - contact Rebecca if you would like to serve on this committee.

Back to top

Course Credit

How do I get credit for courses if I've already studied / practised media production?

If you have previously studied or worked in media production, we strongly advise you to apply for course credit. Some of our introductory courses are designed for students with absolutely no media production skills. Getting credit for these introductory courses can save you time and money.

You should apply for credit as soon as possible, well before the census date for the current semester. 

See these links for more information about course credits:

Applying for Credit in the Master of Media Program

Back to top


How can I develop my English Language skills?

Media production is a collaborative discipline. From the start of the program you will be working in small groups so it is important that you can speak confidently in English.

To improve your writing and speaking skills for your academic (and professional) career, choose the elective English for Academic Purposes LANG1259. This elective is specifically designed for Masters students in the School of Media and Communication. If English is not your first language, OR if you have not done much academic writing recently, this elective will be invaluable for your assessment work over the rest of your degree.

To improve your language skills and meet new friends, attend RMIT's English Ready workshops.

You can also visit the RMIT Learning Lab for all your academic study, writing, and English language support throughout your studies.

Improve your language on the RMIT Learning Lab:

  • Writing skills: Check out some of the essential writing skills needed in tertiary study.

  • Reading skills: Learn about skimming and scanning strategies as well as how to organise the information you have just read.

  • Spelling: Learn about the major spelling rules used in the English language with activities that will test your skills.

  • Oral presentations: Plan and prepare for oral presentations at university with these resources.

  • Tips from students: A series of videos from RMIT international students sharing tips on how to improve your English.

  • Academic word list tool: Develop your vocabulary by studying the list of 570 commonly used academic words. There are a range of fun games and activities to help you learn.

  • Useful websites: A comprehensive list of websites compiled to help you improve your English.

If you feel particularly worried or anxious about your study, your English, or life in Melbourne away from home, make a time to talk to your tutors or your Program Manager. 

Back to top


To apply for security access to RMIT facilities you need to fill in this Security Access Request Form. Your School Administration Officers will assess your request and give you access to all relevant media facilities and areas. If you have any queries regarding your security access, please contact Media and Communication Reception email: mcreception@rmit.edu.au.

Here is a list of private and group study spaces

Here is a list of general purpose computer labs (some of which are open 24/7)

Lockers are located in 9.2 (Atelier 9.2.12 & Corridor 9.2.206) and 9.3 (Foyer 9.3.2 & Corridor 9.3.213)

Back to top

International Study

What opportunities are there for International work and study?

There are many opportunities to do MC188 coursework overseas: a Global Study Tour, a Global Internship and/or a Global Study Exchange:

  • Global Study Tours are best undertaken before your third semester, and used toward the coursework for International Media Collaboration.

  • Global Internships can be undertaken before your third semester, and used toward the coursework for Media Career Development. Internship opportunities will be sent to you periodically via email.

  • Digital Society School Internships allows MC188 students to combine their Professional Research Project and their Strategic Media Project into one 20 week internship in Amsterdam. The program is in English and interns will have one day a week to work individually on the documentation of their research and media projects. All instructions are found here: Digital Society School Internships

  • Online Partnered Projects can be done via Telanto - an online industry-connected platform that connects European business challenges to our students in Melbourne. You will learn about this platform in your semester 3 course International Media Collaboration.

  • Global Paid Internships can be organised through RMIT's International Industry Experience and Research Program (RIIERP)

  • A Global Study Exchange is more complex to organise and will have to be planned according to your individual needs and the semester schedules of both RMIT and your host institution. You must register your interest (with Global Mobility and your Academic Advisor) as soon as possible, as study exchanges can take up to 10 months to organise. You need to research the student exchanges and RMIT's 200+ exchange partners you are interested in and identify courses offered at that institution which will allow you to transfer academic credit to MC188 Master of Media. Note that you will need a minimum GPA of 2.0 plus approximately $2000 per month for living expenses.

If you are interested in any of these international opportunities, you need to start planning and researching your options as soon as possible, as they generally take some time to organise.

  • Start by attending an information session to learn about the huge range of RMIT international study and work opportunities. Register here.

  • Visit the RMIT Global Experience Office website to find out more about your opportunities to study, work and travel overseas.

  • Email your Academic Advisor (patrick.kelly@rmit.edu.au) and ask for an appointment to design a new program plan that accommodates your international work or study experience.

Back to top


What opportunities are there for work placements / internships?

There are placement opportunities within the program, as well as partnered industry projects. Whilst many companies do send us opportunities for work placements, we also encourage you to do some research and thinking around where and when you might like to do a work placement.

Here are the Master of Media instructions that will help you secure a work placement: Essential Steps for your WIL Placement

We can advise you on how to approach companies, how to negotiate your placement, and we organise workplace insurance for you. Contact Patrick.Kelly@rmit.edu.au for more information.

Back to top

Medical/Personal Problems

How can I get help with my studies if I have a medical condition or personal problems?

If you have an ongoing medical condition which may impact on your ability to study, please contact Equitable Learning Services. This is a service for students living with disabilities, long-term illness and/ or mental health conditions. They will develop a plan to help you to with your study. Also see the Equitable Assessment Arrangements.

In addition, there are a range services you can access through RMIT student support services, including counselling, childcare, financial info, accommodation info, legal advice, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander support, and international student support.

Back to top


How can I receive mentoring to enhance my student life and my professional prospects?

Mates at RMIT matches new students with current ones to help new students settle into the university life and life in Melbourne.

Industry Mentoring provides industry mentoring in a variety of areas including Career Mentoring, Pride Mentoring, Women@RMIT Mentoring and Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander Mentoring.

Back to top


How do I find my classroom?

Lost on Campus is an app that can help you find every tutorial room, lecture theatre, computer lab, coffee shop, carpark, bus stop, sports field, your nearest toilet, vending machine -even campus 'secret locations'.

Melbourne City campus map is also useful.

Back to top

New Students

New Student Guide - Find the information you need to settle in at RMIT. 

myRMIT - for all things official log in to myRMIT every day and check in with each of your online classrooms

RMIT Connect – where you can access student administration and student support

Welcome to RMIT - Find out about living, studying and making friends in Melbourne

Students - your gateway to admin essentials, student services, getting involved, study resources, student news and much more

Back to top

Postgraduate Study

How does post-graduate study differ from undergraduate study?

These resources cover some of the study and writing requirements at postgraduate level. Including research writing, literature review and effective reading: Postgraduate study

UniReady is designed for all commencing students (undergrad or postgrad, domestic or international) and answers important questions around the new academic life they are embarking upon.

Back to top

Security Card Access

How do I access my classrooms and computer labs?

You need a security activated student card to get into your classroom/lab.

Organise your student card as soon as possible, using these instructions. Then take your student card to the receptionist on level 4 of building 9 and apply for Security Access. It may take a week for your application to be granted.

You can also use the facilities at these RMIT Computer Labs, some of which are open 24/7.

Back to top

Social Media Groups for Students and Alumni

Media Masters RMIT is a private Facebook group for RMIT Master of Media students, alumni and friends of the program. Events, jobs and other items of interest are posted there.

Go to the Media Masters RMIT page and click Join Group. A group admin will approve your request.

Back to top

Student Staff Consultative Committee

As an SSCC student representative you act as a voice for your fellow students. You consult with your classmates to find out their issues and you present those issues for discussion at SSCC meetings.

Our SSCC discusses program-related issues, such as:

  • course and program structure

  • teaching methods

  • timetabling

  • workload

  • access to resources and facilities

  • class sizes

The MC188 SSCC normally meets twice a semester, with additional meetings called if necessary. As an SSCC representative you will receive training through RMIT LEAD. When you have completed the training and the required number of hours of committee participation you are eligible for an LEAD certificate signed by the Vice-Chancellor.

If you are interested in serving on the Master of Media SSCC, please email Rebecca.young@rmit.edu.au

Back to top

Study and Learning Assistance

The Study and Learning Centre provides free study and learning advice for all RMIT students

Student Learning Advisor Mentors (SLAMs) are volunteer students who have received a DI or HD in a relevant course and are willing to offer two hours per week during the semester from weeks 2 to 11. SLAMs is located in building 8, level 7, room 153. You don't need to make an appointment to see a SLAM and you will be able to check mentor availability on the SLAMs timetable which is renewed each semester.

Back to top